Saturday, October 1, 2011

Exhausted, mind wandering

I sat down to eat last night and just never got up. That's not really a problem but it doesn't get anything done. The house is coming along finally, now that I have the time to focus on it. We've had so much stuff just stacked up for so long it's been like living in a warehouse, but 14 hour days aren't conducive to organizing a house after work. When I first got laid off I started just walking into the house, grabbing whatever was at hand, and putting it wherever it went. These pictures hang here, oh, and to do that I'll have to move this box of (Opening box) .....OH! those shelves I have to display my model trains, which are (Looking around)....oh yes, over there, behind my antique display cabinet, which goes over on this side of the room (Drag it into place)... You get the picture. Just keep putting things where the mental image of the finished product dictates and eventually everything will be in it's place. Hang the swag lamps. Clean the pumps and guides on the rain lamp and get it hung. Brace the bookshelves and then put them in place. Cull the least wanted books as you unpack the dozens of boxes (Hey, we like books) and place them on the shelves. Place the display cabinets then unpack the chachkis... Blah blah. There is finally getting to be some reason in the chaos.

Ginger decided she doesn't really want her nightstand lamp any longer. I've mentioned before I'm a near hopeless pack rat. It so happens I found a set of dual swag crystal lamps about 5 years ago, which I brought home and immediately packed in a box in bubble wrap. Looks like I finally have a use for them. I think I'll need to rewire them to hang differently, but they will be perfect for Ginger's room. I also have another lamp I put in storage when I finished my first round of tech school in 1987. It's been moved from attic to garage to shed to attic ever since (Hey, it's a cool lamp). It was hanging over this 1960s over-sized arm chair in my living room back then. We got it at a garage sale to put in my very first apartment. That chair looked like something that would be on Buck Rogers ship for the pilot to sit in, I loved that thing! I'm going for a sort of retro feel in the downstairs seating area, and my mother asked if I wanted that chair again.

Me: "Heck yeah! If I could find one."
Her: "Oh, I still have yours"
Me: You still have the Buck Rogers rocket chair?!
Her: "Yeah, out in my storage shed."
Me: "You have my Buck Rogers rocket chair in your storage shed right now."
Her: "Yes"
Me: "Where was it before?"
Her: "In the hunters suite at the motel."
Me: "And you brought it back when you sold the motel?"
Her: "Yeah. I always liked it."

Now at this point it will help you to know a couple of things. First, until the last few years my mother and I weren't very close. I didn't visit her much at all. So it isn't all that odd that I never saw the chair. Second, my apartment where the chair first lived with me was 2 states from where I grew up. When I moved off to go to school we bought the chair after we got there. When I left school we packed stuff up and I came back home where the chair turned out not able to be used. I unenthusiastically put it with some other stuff for my mother to cull through, take anything she wanted, and then donate the remainder to goodwill who was to come pick it up. I went off to work that day and to the best of my recollection never saw or heard about the chair again. A little later I moved in with Mary Ann, then we married. A few years after that my mother and her partner bought a motel in yet another state and ran it for 17 years. When he passed away she sold it and came back here to be close to her family. To get back into my house that chair was moved 6 times through 4 states. I did of course, take it back and put it downstairs.

I've also culled out boxes and boxes of pretties, knick-knacks, kitchen gadgets, artwork, clothing, tools, and cleaning supplies used for my business. I've organized what I wanted to keep and sent the rest off to goodwill or the like, and as of right now if you walked in this house.........You would never know. I still have shelves and shelves of stuff to organize and put away. I still have tools in just a massive pile that needs to make it into my tool box. I still have massive amounts of chemicals and cleaning products bought back when the amount of clients I had justified buying things on case lots and the amount of room I had justified storing that much at once. Things are different now. LOL

Oh well, just keep going, right? Mary Ann is back home finally, but the trip must have really worn her out because she went to bed last night and slept most of today! I'm glad she's home and I'm sure in a day or two she'l be back in the routine. Ginger came home from work and was reading something called Miss Minimalist, which struck me a touch ironic after I spent literally all day packing things away and putting them in the attic, or in the newest "Donate" pile (Or for that matter, I filled three of our 45 gallon trash containers just today! One handy thing, I still have 8 of those trash cans. At least that pile of stuff is always contained!) Maybe if Ginger keeps reading that book, we'll be making another run to Goodwill or the Salvation Army soon.

In any event, things will be back to normal soon I hope. Or at least as normal as it gets until everything is finally sorted, organized and put away. Until then, I just "Keep on truckin'". (Can you tell I was writing this in the retro-room?)

No comments:

Post a Comment