Monday, August 22, 2011

Bob and weave

I got the word today, I have a week left at the job that provides about 60% of my income, along with all my health benefits. I was self employed for 10 years. I took a job with a big corporation after Mary Ann lost her position at her corporation because of her disabled condition. My new company has been awesome. So awesome in fact it makes me nervous. They quite literally started paying her medical expenses 12 hours after I qualified for the benefits. They sent me a number to call and a number to ID me one evening, and the next day the doctor's office called that number, spoke to the rep about 2 minutes, hung up the phone and said we were all good. I haven't had a problem since. I actually didn't get the ID card until about a week later. I'm waiting to find out it's all a scam and none of the bills have been paid or something. It was just too easy.

But they were always selling the property. I had planned to transfer to another one but they sold it too. They would like me to transfer about 4 states over. In fact I can choose between several locations, but they are all several states away. However Mary Ann's family lives here, and they have been very supportive and helpful during all of our troubles these last few years. No one wants to leave them. Also Ginger, despite her bombshell appearance, has a job in a very specific high tech industry doing some really advanced scientific stuff. So far she's introduced me to an electrical engineer, a theoretical physicist whom I later saw discussing his project on national T.V., and some guy whose job title I don't know, but who I do know they recruited from NASA about 7 or 8 years ago, before those guys were all getting laid off. So you see that this isn't the kind of work that you just transfer from company to company to do. Unfortunately it's also not the kind of job that pays big bucks either. Since we can't legally plural marry, none of her benefits are transferable to Mary Ann.

So, the hits just keep coming. But, we are together, I am free, we have what we really NEED, just less than we'd want and little breathing room financially. Things could certainly be worse. To be honest, I don't really like my job anyway. I sure liked knowing I could walk into any doctors office and get care for Mary Ann though. That part I'm going to need to get replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment