Saturday, September 17, 2011

Oh Gawd!

So this seems to often come as a surprise to folks, but I'm a strong believer in Christ. No, I'm not going to preach. But the topic this evening is about the Triquetra. Also known as the trinity knot, if you google a picture you'll probably recognize it. It's used a lot as a symbol of polyamory and a while back I even considered using it as part of a tattoo I wanted. Since I take tattoos seriously and feel they should not be indulged in lightly I investigated the meaning of the symbol. Symbol of the Christian Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Ghost), symbol of the Pagans (Maiden, Mother, Crone). Apparently the Wiccans even use it, symbolizing Mind, Body, Spirit by it's use. There's no consensus on whether it was used first by the Christians or the Celts, but I figured if it was commandeered for Christ millenia ago, I'm probably O.K. to use it. Then I read an opinion that it's a stylized 666 symbol.

That sound you hear is my screeching halt.

So no really big deal, I just re-worked the tattoo design, and with my layoff it's not financially feasible to get inked anyway so plenty of time to refine the design. Then as I was unpacking I came acrossed a stained glass triquetra. It's beautiful, and up until that 666 thing I loved the design even before I knew it's meaning. No one seems to know where it came from, but that isn't as mysterious as it might sound. I'm a pack rat at the genetic level, and it wouldn't be at all unusual for me to buy something that I liked and stick it in a box the same day "Until I had a place for it" only to forget all about it by the end of the week. I once found a Christmas gift in my attic that was two years overdue, and I clearly remembered that I had rushed out on Christmas eve that year to get something for that person because they are hard to buy for and I had completely forgotten that I'd found the perfect gift and snapped it up last August. I might easily have bought this thing and just don't remember it. In any event, I like it. I have been investigating more, and I can't find much that indicates any serious likelihood that the symbol originated as a Satanic symbol. It may well end up in a window here. After all, it hasn't glowed at night or set the house on fire for the last however many years it's been kicking around. Still, I'm not risking it as a tattoo though. I'll go with something completely original so I know what the meaning is!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I totally get you on this one!! I don't know about the origin of the knot... but I am just as freaked out about the 666 thing... and I too, take tats very seriously.

    I do have one tattoo. Its of a lady but on the big toe of my right foot. Her name is Zoe and she is kinda "cheesy" as my tattoo artist said. He made me promise not to tie his name to Zoe... so to my friends, I just tell them what great customer service he has since she is exactly what I wanted and even though it went against his tastes... he still did the job that the customer wanted. I felt like I was at Burger King... as I got it my way! LOL

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete